Europe Middle East News

U.K. Will Take Additional 3,000 Child Refugees By 2020

The U.K. government said Britain will take an extra 3,000 “at-risk” child refugees from camps in the Middle East and North Africa over the next four years.

The U.K. government announced Thursday that it will take an extra 3,000 “at-risk” child refugees from camps in the Middle East and North Africa over the next four years.

The new “children at risk” scheme is in addition to the 20,000 Syrian refugees it had already agreed to allow into the U.K. by 2020.

The scheme will not offer places to Syrian child refugees already in Europe.

“The U.K. Government is committed to providing life-saving support and assistance to the vulnerable children who have been unjustly impacted by this ongoing humanitarian crisis,” Immigration Minister James Brokenshire said.

“We have always been clear that the vast majority of vulnerable children are better off remaining in host countries in the region so they can be reunited with surviving family members. However, there are exceptional circumstances in which it is in a child’s best interests to be resettled in the U.K.,” he added.

[Story Developing]

Slack

Join us in the newsroom?

Grasswire is an open newsroom. We collaborate online in an open Slack channel where we pitch, source, verify, write and edit stories.

0 / 1856

Tweets