Attackers armed with assault rifles and suicide vests attacked Iran’s Majlis (parliament) and the shrine to Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini in Tehran on Wednesday, June 7, killing 12 people and injuring around 40 others.
— Omid Memarian (@Omid_M) June 7, 2017
What we know
- Assailants armed with guns and suicide vests stormed the Imam Khomeini shrine around 10:40 Wednesday morning (6:10 a.m. GMT)
- A second set of attackers launched a second assault inside the parliament building in central Tehran
- 12 people were killed and 39 people were injured in both attacks
- Of the 12 fatalities, 2 people died in hospitals
- Security forces killed 4 attackers inside the Majlis
- 1 suspected attacker, possibly a woman, was apprehended at the shrine
- A total of 5 people were arrested in connection with the attacks
- Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attacks via its Amaq news agency
Grasswire is reporting with IranNewsNow using the Pressimus liveblogging platform to cover the attack.