The U.S. Treasury Department announced on Wednesday, August 9, it was sanctioning eight Venezuelan government and military officials, adding to a growing list of individuals.
Six of the officials are newly-elected members of the constituent assembly, also known by its Spanish acronym ANC.
On July 26, the Treasury Department announced sanctions against 13 officials ahead of the constituent assembly vote, which the Trump administration had said it viewed as making Venezuela into a dictatorship.
Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro was sanctioned the day after the July 30 vote, making him the fourth head of state to be sanctioned by the U.S.
The newly-constructed constituent assembly is tasked with rewriting the country’s 18-year-old constitution. It’s been criticized by several regional governments, with many saying they refuse to recognize the ANC.
The ANC also approved a decree on Tuesday, August 8, that gives itself power over other branches of government in Venezuela, including the opposition-controlled National Assembly.
Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control released the names of those added to the list of sanctions:
- Francisco José Ameliach Orta, ANC constituent for Valencia Municipality in Carabobo State, member of the Presidential Commission for the ANC, and former governor of Carabobo
- Adán Coromoto Chávez Frías, ANC constituent for Barinas Municipality in Barinas State, Secretary of the Presidential Commission for the ANC, former Minister of Culture, and older brother of the late President Hugo Chávez
- Tania D’Amelio Cardiet, a rector of the National Electoral Council
- Hermann Eduardo Escarrá Malave, ANC constituent for Zamora Municipality in Miranda State and member of the Presidential Commission for the ANC
- Erika del Valle Farías Peña, ANC constituent for Ezequiel Zamora Municipality in Cojedes State and former Minister of Urban Agriculture
- Bladimir Humberto Lugo Armas, Commander of the Special Unit to the Federal Legislative Palace of the Bolivarian National Guard
- Carmen Teresa Meléndez Rivas, ANC constituent for Iribarren Municipality in Lara State, former Minister of Defense and former Minister of Interior and Justice
- Ramon Darío Vivas Velasco, ANC constituent for Vargas Municipality in Vargas State and former National Assembly Deputy for Vargas State
US sanctions 13 Venezuelan officials ahead of Constituent Assembly election