The Colombian government has declared the conflict with the FARC rebels over as the group completed its disarmament process, AFP news agency reported on Tuesday, August 15.
“The conflict is truly over and a new phase begins in the life of our nation” AFP quoted Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos as saying.
The first rebels completed the UN-monitored disarmament process in May after signing a historic peace accord with the Colombian government to end the decades-long conflict.
The Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia – better known as the FARC – battled the government for more than 50 years before a deal was made in November.
Last month FARC said it would launch a political party.
In a series of tweets on Tuesday, Santos’ office said the last container of weapons had been removed.
— Presidencia Colombia (@infopresidencia) August 15, 2017